Dragon Pass background

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:50:36 +1300

Matt Thrower:

Asks a lot of questions about Dragon Pass. I'll only answer the following question here:

> 6) Background: Where else can I find source material about the
> situation in Glorantha depicted in dragon pass?

King of Sartar contains the most information on the wars from an Orlanthi point of view. For a geographical background, Thunder Rebels, Barbarian Adventures and Orlanth is Dead! conatin information about Sartar. A gazetteer and map (Kerofinela) is planned for the near future to give details about various geographical features in and around Sartar. All previous books are published by Issaries.

For Tarsh, there's the Imperial Lunar handbook which should be available in the near future from Issaries and also the fan publications of Unspoken Word #1: Tarsh (which focuses on Lunar Tarsh) and In Wintertop's Shadow (which focuses on the Tarsh Exiles). No comparable work to King of Sartar exists to give the Tarsh and Lunar view of the Hero Wars and so it has to be extrapolated from other materials.

For the Undead Marsh, there is Tales #19 (from the Reaching Moon) while the Trolls of Skyfall Lake can be inferred from Uz: Trolls of Glorantha (Unspoken Word again). No similar works are available for the Dragonewts, the Grazers and the Black Horse Troop. For those, one has to use what one can from partial treatments (such as the character generation rules in Hero Wars) or the Dragon Pantheon article at www.glorantha.com.

> Furthmore, how
> come the chaos-hating Sartar troops are allowed by the game to
> ally chaotics such as the hydra and Delecti? Is that not a
> fairly major breach of flavour?

It's nigh impossible for the Sartarites to ally the Hydra because as it resides deep with Tarsh, the Lunars almost certainly get their hands on it first.

As to the general point, the Sartarites may hate chaos but there are some forms of chaos that they rather not want the enemy to be using against them. They are no more cynical than the angloallies  were during the second world war when they made an alliance with the Soviet Union to oppose Germany.

 --Peter Metcalfe