Tin

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 23:10:22 +1200

Mikko:

>We have Gold as the elemental metal of Fire/Sky, yet suddenly we get
>offered Tin as a second metal of the Sky.

Since I originally gave three metals for Storm (the other two being Iron and Silver), I really don't see the problem.

>As explanation we seem to get
>the myth of lightning, and the metal is attributed to Dayzatar.

The metal is ascribed to Zrethus not Dayzatar. Hence attempts to show that the myth is wrong based on Dayzatar's current nature are flawed (he's changed since the Good Old Days).

>This was a very strange approach to the elemental logic anyway, with
>lightning
>attributed to the gods of fire, instead of storm.

Which has been the case from the very beginning as could be seen from the myth of Lightning Boy in Nomad Gods written in the 70s.

>The Fire gods lost their lighting

They have? Somebody ought to tell Shargash.

>There seemed to be some confusion about what I said on the properties of
>bronze. There indeed is a passage to be found that claims Umath is either
>the last first of the young god's or the last of the old.

There's no such passage about Umath. There is such a passage about Rashoran or Death in Cults of Terror.

>Glorantha has five true, or original, elements. Fire, Darkness, Earth, Air
>and Water. These five can be arranged in a circle, where each always
>dominates the next and is dominated by the previous one. If Umath had been
>a young god, and Air was not a true element, it wouldn't fit into this
>progression.

Which does nothing to address whether bronze is a storm metal or not. Note well the _a_, Mikko. I listed two other metals as being storm and so arguments based on bronze's composite nature are irrelevant.

>When I claimed that bronze is a remarkable metal, I meant it in the sense
>that the young god's are remarkably different from the primal powers.

What I was objecting to, I believe, was your contention that Bronze could not be the storm metal because it's "common", then when inventing a reason for it being specifically associated with Orlanth (a claim which you have yet to substantiate), you take the opposite point of view, it's remarkable,

>Finally there's the important question of MGF, as ably championed by MOB
>and Nick Brooke. We gain nothing by attributing tin to an obscure sungod.

In which case, I'm moved to ask who "we" is. I can think of several or so reasons that would make tin's association with the high fires useful but since Mikko's pretending that I don't exist, my opinions might not count.

>The only thing anybody ever seems to have used tin in published sources
>since RQ-1 seems to have been more or less tied with lightning,

Not really. There's the Tin Compass that points to Magasta's Pool. But the issue isn't whether Tin is associated with Lightning but whether Lightning is a Storm Power or a Sky Power that Storm acquired through its defeat of the Sky. The myths of Lightning Boy and Yavor as well as the Enchant Tin feat of Daylanus Conquering Wind support my position.

>MGF. We gain an elemental association table for Glorantha that makes sense
>without intricate explanations and convoluted myths.

So how is the explanation that Bronze is common when associated with Umath and remarkable when associated with Orlanth anything other than intricate or convoluted? If you must cast aspersions on what other people think then its wise to see that your own theories do not suffer from similar flaws.

--Peter Metcalfe