More mysticism

From: Antonio Alvarez del Cuvillo <antalvarez1976_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 07:48:28 +0200

More mysticism (sorry if it begins to be boring)

Greg:
> This is a good place to clarify something furthermore: If your practice
> uses any of the intermediary forms to reach mysticism, then it's not a
real
> mystical practice as I have defined it.
TI:
> See above, Greg's statement about intermediary forms of "mysticism".

This is my main problem for understanding the concept.

I understand that a Mystic is 'someone who search or who find some (or THE) trascendental truth, nor material nor immaterial'.

In some wide (and probably inapropiate) sense, all gloranthan religions and magical practicals could be mystical, because their myths are in some sense, a human form to understand the Truth (as some people have well explained). But, of course, we have to be more strict. So, we say 'If you use some intermediation, you are not a 'mystic'. OK, I understand. So, you worship Great Orlanth, you know Orlanth myths, you learn the Great Secret, you dissapear from the game. Sort of trascendental thing, but not mystic.

BUT my problem is that mystics (I suppose) are in the magical (illusory) world. What can they do? They have to begin with something. All the things they can do or not-to-do are things of the illusory world, material or immaterial. Perhaps they'll find the Trascendance meditating, but, at first, meditating could be a mental exercise, so, an immaterial thing. Learning a 'mystical' doctrine about how-to-find-real-truth is probably another intellectual, illusory, thing. And all 'mystical' techniques that I can imagine, also are 'intermediations'. Who are the mystics?

Probably I'm wrong, but, I prefer a concept that includes 'people who are trying to be mystics'. So, I would say 'some who believes in some trascendental truth, nor material nor immaterial and tries to find it'. But if they will win or lose in their mystical search, or if they are right or wrong, is a trascendental thing, and it's beyond the game. Perhaps they're people in Glorantha who don't believe in some Ultimate Reality nor material nor immaterial, but they call theirselves 'mystics', so, I know they are not 'mystics', but this is a different concept than a 'failed mystic' that I prefer no to use in objetive (not related to a NPC or culture) terms.

Regards,

Antonio