Crop Goddesses, Kralori Magic

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 20:12:07 +0900

After a long delay, my HQ copy ordered in Warehouse 23 went to Olli's Finland or John's Australia and completely lost from any track. (Just examples "far from Japan") :-( Aaaaaaaa...........

Then what did TI next?

  1. He waited the arriving in vain with tear and sorrow, joined the cult of Azagestor.
  2. He performed the ritual of Arming of Orlanth, and raided SJG, W23 and UPS office with thunder brothers.....
  3. Good Life is Slavery. (Sheng teaching) He unwillingly bought another copy in local hobbyshop of Japan.

Answer is 3). :-) I think Greg did best work for Teshnos. (No specialized Religion in there....)

I revised my Land of Vithela and Stellar Names List according to it... http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~BLUEMAGI/LandofVithela.htm http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~BLUEMAGI/NamesofHB-e.htm

> TI:
> > In Kralorela, rice is cultivated, in Peloria, main crop is Maize (Corn)

Alex:
> Prior to Hon-Eel, it'd have been wheat in the uplands, and rice in the
> river valleys. I think both of these remain to quite a substantial
> degree, despite the progress of maize.

I suppose Efendi used Old Gods of Glorantha material, I am merely a translator, not author. But for referring sets in HQ for innate magics for farming, and detailing of Pelorian Trilogy about Crop Goddesses, such analysis might be unofficial though it is still interesting.

> Olli Kantola wondered aloud about Kralori sorcerors:
> > Lunars cheat their way out of this. The moon is a part of all the
> > otherworlds and/or something that is foreign to all of them. The kralori
> > don't have this luxury, neither do the Teshnans. Still, they have
wizards
> > and therefore I suppose that they must have essence planes as well. How
> > could the node of the schools founder be near the Imperial City or
whatever
> > and still be in a different otherworld?

Greg frequently used new idiomatic phrase, "the World is made of Everything".

> I think the Kralori have 'cheats' available to them too: dragons are in
> effect 'mixed' entities also, to put it in terms of that cosmology. The
> petty dragons might just correspond to the sort of bog-standard common
> religions of elsewhere, but with a 'draconic gloss'. (Not that I don't
> think Kralorela is remotely short of CM of an entirely 'Never mind the
> dragons, I have a paddy to plant' sort.) At the extreme end of this is
> the Cosmic Dragon, which certainly transcends the otherworldly
> divisions, but also transcends feasible accessibility, much less
> gameability -- i.e., anyone for whom any contact with the CD is even a
> meaningful question is an Unplayable Mystic(TM).

HQ set said, "Teshnos is Urbanized." And it seems that Greg chose the concept of Levi Strauss' cultural anthropology, not sociology for differences of magic systems of each cultures.

> In between these two extremes it's possible you may see something
> analogous to the Lunar 'cheat', with the object being a True Dragon or
> Ancestral Dragon. I doubt this is especially common, if it exists at
> all, and I'm entirely vague how it'd work, but I throw the idea out for
> yucks.
>
> What, however, most Kralori sorcerors are exactly that: they don't
> bother with and/or give up 'other' types of magic. I reckon you have
> (at least) Metsylan sorceror/alchemists who're happily embedded in the
> sorcery planes without troubling with any draconic rationale at all, and
> Thalurznist who do have a draconic gloss, but it amounts to much the
> same thing: in HW/HQ (or even RQ) terms, they're sorcerors, plain and
> simple.
>
> In terms of the otherworldly topology, I don't think there's a problem
> -- these things aren't exactly Euclidian 3-space at the best of times,
> much less in the East, where we're explicitly told that the 'mystic
> otherworld'-that-might-have-been became/was seen to be equivalent to the
> other three, so the exact arrangement of that is bound to be a little on
> the 'mixed up' side, though I reckon the Kralori themselves perceive it
> to be seamless -- nothwithstanding that some magic works better in parts
> of 'their' other side than in others.
>
> Cheers,
> Alex.

Mark Galeotti finally released the cultural keyword article in Pyramid, (bah, expensive just for Jamie's Caladraland and Mark's Kralorela). He wrote mainly Kralori as are Theists. But maybe compatible to your concept ans similar to Teshnans, no special concentrated Magic......except few like caste of Mandarins (only one among hundred, as illuminati in LE!).

Keith:

> My current conception is that the various Hells of the Kralori are actuall
> the various otherworlds of other nations. A really bad Kralori might end
up in
> Orlanth's Hall (yikes! horror of horrors). So far so unoriginal. So when a
bad
> Kralori dies his soul-essense or spirit goes somewhere appropriate to his
> religion in life. A good Kralori goes the excellent palace of pleasant
reward
> (the rewarding palace of pleasant excellence? the pleasant palace of
excellent
> reward? you choose), which is actually on the Heroplane in Vithela.

Interesting. Perhaps as you here suggested, reincarnation idea was imported from Teshnos or Vithela (India and Indonesia?), not Kralori origin, as in RW reincarnation concept of Chinese Taoism.

> When the Emperor passes on, I think this is passing into Solace, as these
> souls do not come back, this being a development of sorcerous Thalurzni. I
> realise that this is probably not the Kralori understanding of the
afterlife but I
> need a straightforward answer for some new-to-Glorantha HQ players who
want to
> know how they fit into the otherworlds scheme of things.
>
> I guess different bits of the person could end up in different places but
> that makes it a bit confusing.

Maybe the ritual for deads is different between before and after the death of contemporary emperors.....

> Keith

What I keep in mind is, in old Genertela Box, Kralorela is another dominant place for Sky God Pantheon (as Fonrit and Maslo, Dara Happa....)

As for reference, See HQ and Voices. As nearby similar methods and magico-systems to Kralorela, see LE and Teshnan method.

Teshnan Six Stratum and Aspects of Great Gods http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~BLUEMAGI/LandofVithela.htm Endi Varo made Three Worlds (Challenge = Sorcery, Play = God, Desire = Spirit Plane, and it seems that Teshnans didn't decide which is superior and / or inferior in the basic teaching.)

Lunar Empire farfetched creeds.
oops, it is under construction.

DH math magic (by Peter Metcalph)
http://lokarnos.com/article.pl?sid=03/09/02/0928256&mode=thread