Silly newbies and serious oldbies

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_free.fr>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:05:08 +0100

Mikko :

> Of course Glorantha is a flexible setting, and can easily be used for
> humorous, light gaming. I still think the poetic, evocative style of
> Thunder Rebels should have been given a chanse to show, as a counterpoint
> to the casual newbie gamers style.

Myself, I've found that one quite efficient way to introduce seriousness in the game is to start out humorous and light !

Take care of a superficial story, and the mythic stuff will always take care of itself, whether in a superficial way or a deeper or more meaningful one.

Start out serious, and you risk jeopardising people's sense of fun.**

OiD will be much more serious and meaningful, IMO, when the lightheartedness and silliness that your players have come to enjoy in your game is suddenly and dramatically taken away from them by enemy sorcerers, and all their friends suddenly face a bitter and frozen death ...

IMExperience, starting a campaign with an atmosphere of deadly seriousness _does_ have some advantages, but it can also straightjacket the play, be difficult to maintain in the long run, and can have some _very_ unfortunate psychodramatic side effects.

Silliness is simply THE most effective way of ensuring that the game is a game, so that the deeper, more serious aspects of Glorantha are viewed in context, and don't disrupt the harmony of your player group, as they might do if taken too much at face value. The Hero's Journey isn't always safe, not just for the characters, but even for the players ...

IMSO ;-)
> But let's stop here, since some people seem to be taking my views on this
> a little too seriously.

Pun intended I imagine ... :-)

Julian Lord

--