Change in gloranthan focus

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:42:48 +1300

S. Ben Melhuish:

>I'm not worried about mechanics, which I'll probably mostly ignore, but
>more about the metaphysics of Glorantha. Has this changed at all over
>the 20-some years of Gloranthan publication? Has there always been a
>split between theistic/spiritual/wizardly magic?

Yes. The split between the Spirit magic and Rune (Divine) Magic was always present in the earliest sources (the boardgames in which the Praxians and the Lunars/Sartarites had different magics) and was formalized as early as 1981 when Cults of Terror was published with sorcery and mysticism as other approaches.

http://www.glorantha.com/library/history/cot-cosmology.html#pre-creation

>How have the major
>pantheons changed (I keep hearing grousing about Elmal, or at least
>references to grousing about Elmal)?

The major change in the Orlanthi pantheon in the sources is not the introduction of Elmal but a change from a Lightbringer pantheon (as was presented in Cults of Prax) to a Viking/Celt style tribal pantheon. The Uz were the only other Pantheon to be completely described and they haven't changed much.

The Praxians were only half-described (the four major cults were detailed but the many spirit cults weren't) and haven't changed much. The Lunars underwent a major change from being a perceived Moon-only Empire to a Moon and a whole lot of other pantheons. The nature of their acceptance of chaos has likewise been expanded into an acceptance of everything (and a dislike of people that reject their acceptance).

>Was old-school Glorantha really just all about Chaos-bashing?
>Were the Hero Wars always a big focus?

The Hero Wars were always mentioned from the beginning but most of the Runequest supplements had a mundane focus.

--Peter Metcalfe