[gta-observer] Origins 2004

From: gta-observer-admin_at_rpglist.org
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:04:12 -0800

Greetings to All,

This is the first of several dispatches that have arrived from the front recently, and which we will forward as soon as they have been reviewed.

ORIGINS 2004
Although it seems like a long way away, Origins 2004 is moving ahead like the Juggernaut, and we need to start finalizing plans if we are to get exposure in the pre-registration booklet.

Issaries is working with Steve Jackson Games' Men In Black program and the Origins 2004 staff to bring several Gloranthan and HeroQuest events to the convention. We are working on arranging a 2-round tournament, and we will bring you information on that once our plans are finalized.

At this time, however, we have a more specific need.

As you may or may not know, Origins celebrates its 30th anniversary in 2004, and they are highlighting the history of gaming. As you should know, Glorantha is one of the oldest gaming worlds out there, with a long and illustrious history. To celebrate Glorantha and its history, we have been asked by the Origins staff to run a series of Continuity Events at the convention. The idea would be to have one person run a classic RuneQuest scenario (such as Rainbow Mounds or Flying Trollkin), then that evening or the next day run a HeroQuest scenario set a few years later, to show how both the gaming system and the world of Glorantha have changed in the intervening years.

Accordingly, we are looking for people to run these events and also to help design them! If you are interested in running a matched RuneQuest and HeroQuest event and/or writing the HeroQuest scenario, please contact <administrator_at_glorantha.com> as soon as possible, as we have a January 10th deadline for initial submission of events.

Although we will give preference to the Men In Black when selecting people to run events (since they are our official demo team), we anticipate needing additional people to run events or serve as alternates. (Of course, if you are also interested in _joining_ the Men In Black, that would be even better -- go to <www.sjgames.com/mib/mibjoin.html> for more information on joining. After all, if you are going to run demonstration games, you might as well get something for it!)

We have considered several possibilities for these Continuity Events, but feel free to contact us if you have other ideas:

  1. Rainbow Mounds (from Apple Lane)
  2. Flying Trollkin (from Trollpak/Into the Troll Realms)
  3. Borderlands (Condor Crags/To Giantland!)
  4. In the Belly of the Beast (from Strangers in Prax)
  5. Raid on Yelorna (from Big Rubble)

Even if you are not interested in running or helping write a Continuity Event, you can still sign up directly to run a game at Origins. You can coordinate this event with us, so that we can help promote it and provide prize support; or you can submit it directly if you want by going to http://www.originsgames.com/, then clicking on Events (on the left), then clicking on Submitting Events.

JANUARY 10TH DEADLINE
Either way, you should do this as soon as possible; as the Origins web site says:

>"The 2004 event submission deadline for the Pre-Registration Program is
>January 10th. The event submission deadline for the On-Site Program is
>April 10th. We strongly recommend the earlier date, not only because it
>gives you the best chance of securing the time slots you prefer, but
>because our attendees, dedicated gamers all, often plot out their every
>waking moment at the Show months in advance!"

We hope to hear from you soon!

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen Martin
<administrator_at_glorantha.com>
Issaries, Inc., publisher of HeroQuest, Roleplaying in Glorantha P.O. Box 272914 Concord, CA 94527
Phone: (925) 680-8897
See our extensive web site at <www.HeroQuest-rpg.com>