Kultaniland (was:: Land of Thunder Kultain (and Balmyr) problems)

From: Douglas Seay <douglas-seay_at_nc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:41:48 -0500

I'm one of the folks in the "Wilmskirk" group who is having to handle being Gregged about the geography of the Wilmskirk Confederation. I'm just getting up to speed with DP:LoT, so forgive me if I haven't done my homework yet. My one basic question is: Where was Kultainiland?

My interest is that the game I'm working on has the character's clan in the Kultain tribe at the time of the break up. In fact, I'm hoping that they can be blamed for it :-) Also in 2001 I doctored up the KoDP blank map to have everything I cared about in southern Sartar. (If anyone cares, it is in files section of "Wilmskirk" at yahoo groups.) I'd like to know what I need to revise.

Looking at the color map in DP:LoT, the only place that I can find that mentions the Kultain is Twotop which is south of the crossline. This seems strange to me, as I've always thought of the crosses as the border between Sartar and the Holy Country, but maybe that's just me.

Sticking to the obvious, Kultainiland stops before Zatam Lake (a Kitori holy spot) and Whitewall (Volsaxi stronghold). Markdale is the stomping grounds for the Sylangi, so the border between Destor's Hills and Markdale is likely to be the defacto eastern border of Kultainiland.

That leaves the northern border. Ian's comment that Halfort may have been Kultaini before 1619 could work. The hillfort is Kultani, but the saltmines are Balmyri. Fair enough, and it sounds like the sort of thing that Sartar might have done. But if that's the case, where is the Balmyri gifting hall? Roadend? Some other smaller settlement? Was it a Kultaini gifting hall a decade ago?

Thanks to everyone who put the effort into DP:LoT. I still need to read the thing, but so far it rocks.

PS: To whomever added "Twotop", thanks. That maps pretty well to the "Vallsta Tor" idea that I came up with and am overly fond of.