Horn of Plenty

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:56:48 +1300

Chris Lemens:

>IIRC, Drastic Prax has the Horm
>of Plenty as one of the great treasures of Prax. Woul
>dyou say this is untrue? Or are the 48 Old Ones more
>in the nature of the parts of the Horn that were not
>recovered and repaired?

I would say that the best way of getting the horn of plenty is by collecting all the 48 Old Ones.

>I disagree with Peter in that I do not think the Horn
>of Plenty and the 48 Old Ones are the same thing.
>Here are my reasons:

>1. Drastic Prax lists them as separate entities on
>p.41.

Pshaw! Have you ever seen the 48 old ones and the Horn of Plenty together at the same time?

>2. CoP called the 48oo "spirits" (CoP p. 30). NG
>says that the Horn of Plenty is a treasure (NG english
>rules p. 30). This says to me that they are different
>types of things, one immaterial, the other material.

When separate, the pieces are spirits. When together they are physical.

>6. Mythically, we know different origins for the horn
>and the 48oo. The horn was part of Eiritha; the 48oo
>were the earth fertility spirits of the Greatlands.

And the difference between those origins is what?

Joerg Baumgartner:

>[The 48 Old Ones] are remnants of agricultural spirits. Our disagreement
>is about whether they are used as such by the Oasis Folk, and whether
>they (or similar spirits) may be contacted in secret Oasis Folk rites.

Given that there are only forty-eight spirits and many of them attached as spirit helpers (to use a heroquestism) to some Eiritha Priestess or another, the chances of the oasis folk being allowed to have one of these spirits for their own uses is IMO remote. The 48 Old Ones do not have the power of Frog Woman and other targets of spirit cult worship from their description in Cults of Prax.

>[The Horn of Plenty repaired itself... so why would there have to be
>shattered fragments?

The same way that Thanatar, the Red Goddess and Yelm repaired themselves I suppose.

--Peter Metcalfe