Horn of Plenty

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:36:25 +1300

Joerg Baumgartner:

> >>The Golden Age folk of Prax (the Tada-shi) did have agriculture or
> >>horticulture, and therefore the need for appropriate spirits.

> > They did?

>Hence the description of the 48OO as agricultural spirits.

The 48 Old Ones are a subservient cult of Eiritha and associated with Eiritha priestesses. There is no evidence of their association with the Tada-Shi/Oasis folk nor can they be adduced as evidence of golden age agricultural practices.

>While the
>Golden Age Praxian city folks would have appreciated a horn of plenty per
>city or oasis (as per "savannah watering place"), I doubt they went and
>had Ragnaglar break one off for them.

They didn't need a Horn of Plenty in the good old days. The land was so fertile that jackrabbits came freely to eating etc.

>The Golden Age oasis folk were a sedentary people who cultivated some of
>the land for food production.

They did?

>If one takes the myths about Foundchild and
>Waha's Covenant literally, then everybody (except the Basmoli) was a
>vegetarian before Death came.

The Golden Age folk weren't vegetarian and the argument is over how they gathered their food, _not_ what they ate.

>There have been descriptions of Golden Age Prax as the land where milk and
>honey flowed without any need for labor. I don't think so: We're talking
>Golden Age Prax here, not Green Age.

And why wasn't golden age Prax a land of milk and honey? Similar claims are found about Dara Happa, the Land of Logic and Kralorela.

--Peter Metcalfe