Broos at Moonbroth

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:38:42 +1300

Andrew Dawson:

>> >To restate a question of mine from another post in this thread, did all
>> >(even Orlanthi or Yelmic all) of the Tlaxcallans, Christian Spaniards,
>> >Lutherans, etc. cross over to the Other Side several times during the year
>> >and reenact the myths of their religions?

>>Short Answer: Yes.

>Please do tell. I'm afire with the desire to discover the real world
>religion that
>offers something more than hope, faith, and fellowship.

Why is faith not sufficient? Your whole argument is essentially that since RW people didn't experience magic, they had a much freer reign to disobey the dictates of their faith than would gloranthans. IMO this is a nonsense. In the
Good Old Days without Science-to-explain-Everything, people lived in a world of Thunderstorms, Plague, Famine, Evil Stars in the Heavens, Sun Darkenings, Moons turning Blood Red, two-headed calves being born, roosters laying eggs etc. They didn't ascribe to a belief that these were purely natural events but believed these were evidence of the supernatural. From there, it is no great leap to believe that the holy works are literally true and all the events described
therein really happened. Despite this background, many people (even those that had religious visions) still worked with their theological opponents from time to
time and even the oldest gloranthan sources mention gloranthans doing similar things.

>I'm going to be very disappointed if someone insists that a mass or other
>Christian
>church service (communion services are not masses) involves crossing over
>to the
>Otherside to reenact myths.

I dunno why you consider communion services not to be masses but it is a good example of a RW magical event and an inspiration for Malkioni religious practices. It is the real presence of magic that validates most religious teachings in glorantha, not the otherworld trips that are performed by the pious (and the Orlanthi).

--Peter Metcalfe

End of Glorantha Digest