reality of magic & religion?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:55:32 +0000 (GMT)

> Why is faith not sufficient? Your whole argument is
> essentially that since RW
> people didn't experience magic, they had a much
> freer reign to disobey the
> dictates of their faith than would gloranthans. IMO
> this is a nonsense. ....
> They didn't ascribe to a belief that these
> were purely natural events but
> believed these were evidence of the supernatural.

But AFAIK they saw the supernatural as something which was done *to* them, and which they might try to intercede with deities to stop (or continue). I don't know of any cases where they felt it was something they did, themselves, directly. Even if using "charms", prayers, or whatever, they were, to borrow HQ terminology, only augmenting another skill, not using feats directly.

Bless crops, increase luck: yes: and who knows whether they worked or not?
Pray to deity to strike down opponent, and next week a storm hits their house: yes. Coincidence, or not?

But "cast Sunstrike"; instant ZAP, every time? Not that I know of. I'm no expert and I'd love to be proved wrong, but I think we'd have heard of it if it was happening on a regular basis.

Jane Williams