Re: reality of magic & religion?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 12:09:47 +0000 (GMT)

> > Bless crops, increase luck: yes: and who knows
> whether
> > they worked or not?
>
> Many poeple believed fervently that they did, and in
> fact still do.

Yes, but what *they* believed, rightly or wrongly, isn't the point.

Look, in either Glorantha or the RW, a priest can do a ceremony to make the crops better. In both cases, he and the congregation will (probably) believe in what they're doing. In both cases, they might be right. In both cases, a non-believer could wander in, look at what's going on, and say "yes, but who's to say the crops wouldn't have been that good anyway?"

The difference is that the RW priest would have no defence. The Gloranthan priest could say "yeah? Disbelieve *this*, then!" And shoot the guy, there and then, with a lightning bolt from his hand (no, not from some possibly random thundercloud), killing him.

I'm not aware of this level of unarguable objective evidence being common practise anywhere or anywhen in the RW. Could somebody please prove me wrong?

Jane Williams