Re: Re: Gloranthan reality of magic and religion

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_marconi.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:54:53 -0000

Jane:

>But in Glorantha, *anything* can be explained away as
>"oh, it's just magic". Magic that you personally don't
>know how to cast, maybe. Magic from another alien
>system, quite possibly (burn them!). But never
>anything that's actually impossible according to your
>current beliefs. Which moves proof from being
>difficult to being impossible.

Historicaly, real world christians were perfectly willing to accept that pagans such as witches realy did have effective magic. They merely classified it as being the result of 'trafficking with demons'. If you believed in a religion and it's magic, there has never been any barrier to recognising that other people with different religions can also have effective supernatural powers, you just assume that they are using moraly bankrupt means to acquire them. So I still fail to see any material difference in the world views of real world and gloranthan believers from corresponding religious traditions.

Simon Hibbs