Re: Re: Theists /= Gloranthans

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_uri.edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 07:17:52 -0500

At 05:45 PM 3/2/2004 +0000, Trotsky wrote:
>Peter Larsen:
>
>>> So, yeah, Andrew's comments only really related to theists
>Not even all theists, necessarily. The Lunars, for example, do appear to
>care about orthodoxy, since they have a credo (ILH-1 p.5) which would be
>fairly pointless if they were interested only in what people did, not what
>they believed. And, while not all Lunars are theists, the majority seem to
>be. Of course, the Lunars are exceptional in a number of ways :)

         I don't know -- the Lunars are pretty inclusive. Maybe they are moving towards an orthodoxy -- certainly, they have a political orthodoxy that is parallel but not identical to whatever religious standards they hold (and churches can have standards that the gods don't share), but there should be a fair degree of latitude, given the "We Are All Us" business. Otherwise it would be "We Are All Us, and That Means...." Of course, on the seventh hand, the Lunars could all be hypocrites, but that's kind of -- definitive.

Peter Larsen