Re: Retrofitting Fimbulwinter into KoS

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_nildram.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 13:59:28 +0000

Jane Williams wrote:
> The other thought that occurs to me is the actual
> person CHDP was written for, the guy who gave it to
> Argrath.
>
> "My Lord Varnatol, Light of the Darkness and Keeper of
> the Folk of Durtarl, Vanquisher of the Man-Eaters,
> True Vassal of King Argrath."
>
> Also mentioned on p116 (within CHDP) as a Grazer, one
> of the "woodhackers" who fought the elves at
> Dwernapple.
>
> So what did the Grazers do during Fimbulwinter?

This makes it easy.

The Grazers regard all Heortlings as potential vendref. Fimbulwinter would have frozen the great rivers, allowing hordes of Grazers, probably with Lunar encouragement, to rampage through western Sartar. Note that the Orlanthi tend to justify thralldom on the grounds that the thralls have 'weak breath'. The death of Orlanth gives all Heortlings weak breath, so they are magico-mythically prepared for enslavement by the Grazers.

Perhaps memories of Grazer atrocities are still keenly felt? Perhaps many Heortlings still labour under the jackboot of Grazer oppression?