Repeating Quests (Greg's comments)

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 18:23:25 +0300 (EEST)

Greg shed's some light
<snip>
> Now, if you go on a HQ then it sets your personal mythic pattern. If you
> do it again then the same thing will happen. You have already lost to
> your foes and won the others. You hvae already won or lost the treasure.
> That is that.

Thank you for the clarification. This is what I tought it meant. The Aroka Quest example still makes me think. If my personal mythical reality is set so that I won against Aroka and ended the drought, what does it mean in practise.

As long as I live, the clan won't be threatened by drought? Alternatively the heroquest of Orlanth and Aroka is no longer a heroquest for me but rather a ritual. I know what is causing the drought, and I know how to fix it.

So does this mean I have an ability "Free Heler" or something like that?

> Also, there are different versions of various quests that have the same
> objecive, but different stories. So look at the quest where (Sorry to be
> vauge, but I have no resources with me here) so an dso wins and frees
> the Blue Woman from the water-stealing dragon, and the other one where
> Heler is liberated from the water-stealing dragon. Same myth or
> different? ONLY YOUR NARRATOR KNOWS FOR SURE.
>
> So the rule is that you can on a single quest only go once. And there are
> variations on the rules because there are variation of your position, and
> variations on what "a single myth" means.

Ok, so I can go on a single myth only once, but can I still use it as a stepping stone. Just walk the quest half way, and then turn off the path? Or is this done entirely differently. Instead of doing the "Orlanth and Aroka" quest beginning, I enter Orlanth's Stead and just start walking towards the mythical location I want to reach (this being the suicidal free-heroquesting). Now that I think of it, this seems more likely.

Having seen an interesting location while performing the quest, the location is still there for me, without the trappings of the Heroquest.

Thank you Greg, very helpful.

        -Adept