Mysticism

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:42:06 +0300 (EEST)

Nice to see Greg dipping in.

Nils writes:
<snip>
:mysticism at the same time. However, the magic comes
:from the same places that common magic, theist magic,
:animist magic etc. does, _not_ from the mystic practice.

Ok, but what on earth is the mysticism supposed to acheive? And how is it reflected on the character. Obviously a true mystic is mostly collecting a single huge skill, of no immediate value. I wonder if the original Hero Wars description of the "refute" ability holds any true clues?

<snip>
: ...mysticism can only experienced directly, not
:described or made comprehensible by metaphor.

I'm reminded of things in my copy of the "Bluff Your Way in the Occult". Mysticism is the catch-all, deny-all-definitions basket.

But we are talking of Gloranthan mysticism (and judging by Greg's comments, mostly failing). And for the gameworld of Glorantha and game system of Hero Quest it should be possible to manage a rough outline.

But it seems this is a bit like the Godlearner's Secret. Greg knows it (or possibly doesn't) and all the rest of us are just guessing.

Let's hope it doesn't became a new Gloranthan McGuffin and elude definition forever.

        -Adept

I think I think... Therefore I think I am.

End of Glorantha Digest