Re: Mysticism

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_rubberducky.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:53:15 -0700

simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_marconi.com> wrote:

> What is it about Glorantha that means you can't play
> 'maystical' kung fu types without knowing for a fact
> that your character is a deluded fool spouting
> meaningless drivel?

I think the solution for that is to write up a cult that uses one of the three vanilla Otherworlds, and just have the cult's beliefs be what we Earthlings would call "mystical".

For example, say there's a wizardly religion. They believe in one supreme consciousness (what Malkion called "God"). They believe that unity with that consciousness is the ultimate goal. They believe that the way to achieve that unity is through chanting, fasting, study of ancient texts, and learning how to put your fist through a brick wall.

Give 'em a Scripture for services at the monastery. Give 'em a Grimoire for adventuring warrior-monks, or just have it be a spells-only, no-grimoire religion.

There. You've got your martial artist, he can say all sorts of mystical-sounding things whenever you like ("The broo is chained by mind and not-mind"). After he says those cool mystical things, he can act like a regular player-character. ("Must float like leaf on river of life. Must kill old lady.") And he's not necessarily deluded--his cult, the Way of the Third Sparrow or whatever, doesn't have to be any more wrong or right than the Yelm or Waha or Karrg cults.

I expect that's what we'll end up doing with most or all of the HW mystical cults, at least the active, engage-with-the-world ones (like Taraltara).

End of Glorantha Digest