Re: Myth-making

From: David Weihe <blerg2_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 16:44:42 -0700 (PDT)

"Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_sierratel.com> wrote:
> > Politicians and rulers can seek to create myths so effectively
> > that I'm having trouble coming up with current examples that
> > aren't liable to start flame wars.
>
> Remember the Alamo!

Just a rerun of Leonidas at Thermopylae, with Sam Houston redoing either Salamis or Plataea afterwards at San Jacinto.

BTW, if you caught the recent movie, notice how one Superhero candidate(Davy Crockett) gets caught in his own myth at the end. Nicely HQy.

> General Patton

Achilles Quest, but not going septic, as General Arnold's (Benedict, not Hap [who also did it]) did.

> General MacArthur

Failed his Achilles Quest, since he really did just fade away

> (All of these are American examples, except first man in space, which
> is Russian. But then, I'm an American...).

How about some more interesting ones? George Washington managed the Cincinnatus Path, TWICE! Both Lincoln and Martin Luther King seem to have followed the Moses Path, as might the Signer (whose name I have temporarily forgot) who directed an artilliary barrage at his house when the British took it as their local HQ, and died of starvation and exposure from life in a cave the next year.

Jean Lafite, at the Battle of New Orleans. Or did Andrew Jackson redo Alfred The Great's Path (Retreat To The Marshes), and suck him in?

Did Liver-Eating (aka, Crow Killer) Johnson make a (Kargan Tor?/Humakti?/Umath?) quest to turn the Crow into staunch allies of the US (our version of the Campbells, for you English) ? After all, at the time that they killed his wife, they were as hostile to whites as the Sioux, Cheyenne, Apache, or Comanche ever were.

Did Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain make a cross Humakt/Lhankor Mhy Quest at Gettysburg, or did it just look that way since he was the last colonel left alive by the end of the attack on Little Round Top? And does this also go for Lt. Chard at Rourke's Drift (college professor, engineer, what's the difference?)?

Did Greg create Argrath's Ulerian (nowadays, probably Helerite) general to follow Ambrose Burnside's (a US Civil War general famous for repeatedly Snatching Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory) Path, but with a successful result? Or is that too much of a stretch?

BTW, along the Russian line, there is obviously Alexander Nevsk[i][y] Vs. The Teutonic Knights, but what is the benefit and the cost (since all I know I learned from Sergei Eisenstein, and the movie ends too early for a historian)?

I suppose Kutusov (sp?) did the Salamis Path (without a preceeding Thermopylae) in 1812.

Others?