Common Magic

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 16:28:42 +1200

Ian Cooper:

> >Why bother trying to find a fine line? Having kids
> >know common magic is hardly earth-shattering, it's
> >not as if they could hurl thunderbolts at their
> >parents when told to clean up their plate.

>I think the point is that it's considered a taboo,
>like underage sex.

It's not considered a taboo. All we have is people suggesting that it is and constructing strained justifications for kids not to know common magic. In Runequest, there was no problem at all with kids knowing battle magic so why the need to prevent them knowing common magic in heroquest?

> Kids will do it (learn magic that
>is common or specialized) but adults try to prevent it
>because its dangerous.

Kids can't learn specialized magic because they haven't been initiated. But that doesn't prevent them from learning common magic. And where is the danger in learning common magic?

>Initiation is about entry into
>the world of adult things, before that no.

But initiation _isn't_ required for common magic.

--Peter Metcalfe