Feudal Flames

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_free.fr>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 09:51:58 +0200

>>>There's no such thing as a feudal king
>>>

>>Wrong. There's a difference between kings whose power structure
>>is based on enfeoffment and those who e.g. have a bureaucracy
>>channel their powers.
>>

>But there never was any such thing as a king whose power
>structure was based on enfeoffment.

Wrong. The power structure of pre- Hundred Years War feudal France (norther France, to be picky about it) was exactly based on enfeoffment.

And really, that's what the Hundred Years War was all about, the French insisting that England was enfeoffed to the French Crown, the English countering that this Crown belonged to them anyway, and that therefore France was enfeoffed to them, not the other way round.

Not to even mention the feudal (often local) power structures present in medieval Italy, Germany, Japan, or elsewhere ...

Not to mention 21C Jersey and Guernsey

Nor come to think of it the degenerate feudal structures of the Louis XIV - Louis XVI Ancien Régime. (Tax Farmers, anyone ?)

However, I really must second Nick on one important issue : if you must insist on having this unpleasant discussion, Please Take it to ClosedHeroQuest !!

cheers,

Julian Lord
ClosedHeroQuest Immoderator

--