Re: Question on Lunar Empire and Slaves

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 02:03:28 GMT

In message <008901c465ea$a7e1c400$e6150a0a_at_SOLOVAY> "Andrew Solovay" writes:
>Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Of course if they are legally freed they can
>> do as they choose - some will return home, some continue working for
>> their old owner while others will find employment locally.
>
>Do we know this? In some cultures (e.g. Rome) freed slaves had fairly
>elaborate obligations to their former masters. Do we know just what status
>Lunar freedmen have?

If you want Greg's answer you'll have to ask him. I don't think there is anything canon on the subject. That's why I added YGWV to the end of the mail.

My view is that it's far more complicated than that. Each of the Lunar cultures have their own rules about slavery - when it's permitted, what obligations the owner has, how slaves are freed. About the only rule I think that applies everywhere is that Lunar citizens cannot be slaves. It's a crime to attempt to enslave a Lunar citizen and a slave must be freed before they can gain citizenship.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/

End of Glorantha Digest