Re: Praxian Hyena

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 17:49:21 +0100

Tero Pitkänen:

>While trying to understand a Gloranthan Hyena without confusion, which parts
>of habits of the three RW species a Gloranthan Hyena have?
>
>If we look at the brown one (Hyeana brunnea), it`s not so lucky predator at
>all as the dotted one (Crocuta crocuta) - which is maybe the most famous
>killer machine of them.
>Still, there are some interesting things in brown hyena, which could fit
>quite well in Prax and the Wastes: Even though it´s feeding almost only with
>carrions and small mammals, it teaches its cub the same paths to find food.
>So they may travel again and again to old places, where they used to find
>carrions and prey alike generations ago.
>Also, as a myth this could explain somehow the mystical travels that
>morokanth Hyena worshipers have.

My understanding is that the Praxian hyena most closely resembles the Spotted Hyena (
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/resources/christopher_jameson/crocuta_crocuta_4.jpg/medium.jpg ), rather than the brown or striped varieties - it is, after all, /Crocuta theovorax/ not /Hyaena theovorax/. Having said that, it clearly isn't yer actual genuine terrestrial-type Spotted Hyena, so you're certainly welcome to fit in any changes you like. Besides which, YGWV.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic