Re: Hyenas

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 07:26:11 -0700 (PDT)

> Tero (Tassu) Pitkänen:
>
> The thing why I was amazed about in brown
> hyenas is this their 'memory' about old paths.
> What biologians found on this, was
> that the hyenas followed paths to old
> ruined cities, where their dam used to
> find scraps to eat, even before the cub
> existed. I think it sounds amazing!
> (Of course they don`t find anything
> nowadays from there, but they travel
> the whole path.) So, because things &
> weather etc. change a lot and all the
> time in the Wastes; these kind of paths
> could maybe include some form of
> heroquesting to the Hyena worshipers,
> or even maybe to Green Age revivalists.

Waha's paths through the Greatlands are more than just physical paths. Call them power spots, or thin spots in the separation between the hero plan and the natural world, or ley lines, or part of Arachne Solara's web, or whatever, but they reflect deep underlying magic. If they Hyenas follow them, it is probably because they sense the magic. They do not know _why_ they follow the paths, of course -- they're just dumb animals. I think it entirely possible that one secret of Waha the Pathfinder is to folllow the Hyenas.

Chris Lemens