Re Imperial Ranks

From: Svechin_at_cs.com
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:06:03 -0400

Alex writes:
>In the initial comments, Martin is rather smooshing together 'rank', and
>'organisation',

The problem was that there was no percieved difference between the two, which is a modern concept. The whole point of my post was to illustrate that offical ranks above regimental and below the general of an army (whatever he is called) do no formally exist in the Imperial army, why? Because for such a rank to exist there must also be a formalised operational body that warrants such a rank. There is no such body in the Imperial army.

It was only when brigades, divisions, Corps, armies, army groups etc became formalised and fixed operational groups that a rank was created within the heirarchy for them in our history. This had to be the case because of the greater responsibiliy of commanding a division over a regiment or a corps over a division. Such responsibility attracted greater prestige, different social perks, more remuneration etc. Increasingly over time such ranks became an institution and here we are today.

>but the latter example rather illustrates the
>distinction: Fazzur and his Praxian (say) subordinate are the same
>rank, but as Martin describes, there's (at least) a layer of hierarchy
>in the _organisational_ structure of troops-commanded-by-Warlords. You
>may wish to say it isn't formalised, or traditional, or Old School Dara
>Happan, but it exists in practice, and apparently also by Imperial
>degree.

Oh totally, yes. No argument from me on this one! Fazzur being replaced by Tatius was political. The ultimate power is the Emperor and the Ordenviru. Politics are the key to command, not ablity, merit or earned place. If a great commander is put in charge, that is fortunate, lucky and damn unusual. Many Imperial nobles are attached to Warlords personal entourage (I won't say "staff" as there seems to be a point of confusion between the modern concept of a "staff" and the ancient (which was a collection of your mates basically)) who have no or little combat and command experience and yet they will be given assignments, sent off with a bunch of regiments etc. Why? To give them experience and political training. Much like the tribunes in the Roman army.

Thus it is distinctly feasible to have a complete turnip in charge of a highly important Imperal expedition. Generals like Fazzur are dangerous because they are prepared to step on politcal toes and send the _right_ man fo rthe job. tsk tsk.

Martin Laurie