Dragonewts and Karse

From: Darran <darransims_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:54:42 +0100

><Dragonnewts>

Joerg Baumgartner wrote replying to Light Castle:
> >> I have a theory. The old city of Karse had been an impregnable =
fortress
> >> which fought off all manner of Greater Darkness foes.
>=20
> >> I think that New Karse was protected by the old deity, and any =
attacks
> >> which were deflected at Old Karse during Storm Age and Greater =
Darkness
> >> were at a huge magical disadvantage. So Fazzur had to find attack =
forms
> >> which had not occurred at Old Karse. Hence dragonewts and naval
assault.

>=20

> >> What do you think?

>=20
> > That makes perfect sense in terms of why you would attack with =
Dragonnewts.
>=20
> And helps defining Old Karse.

I do like this myself.
Whatever defences that Karse may have would be easily overcome by the = dragonewts.
It does seem that they can scale the walls and are effective at fighting = the defenders and attacking the magical guardians as well according to = KoS 142.
=20
> > I was
> > more wondering why the Dragonnewts agreed to be mercenaries for the
Lunars. I know
> > you can never predict what Dragonnewts will do, but hiring out as a
siege gang seems
> > rather odd. What was in it for them? Especially since they didn't =
stay?

> That's an older theory of mine: he who gets acknowledged as King of =
Dragon
> Pass by the Inhuman King gets the option to hire the dragonewts =
(usually
> at inhuman prices, but Tarsh is extremely rich).

Being King of Dragon Pass would help in securing the help of dragonewts = but still wouldn't guarantee it. Hiring out at *inhuman* cost isn't = wealth. It is not going to cost you X amount of gold pieces and a few = gems thrown in. No, the inhuman cost is the ritual sacrifice/suicide of = these sent to be negotiators on behalf of whichever side wants to hire = them. The heroes getting the help from the dragonewts pay with their = very lives, blood and souls as they commit *Utuma*.

This has just occurred in my game as both sides tried to gain the aid of = the dragonewts for what has become the Battle of Dwarf Ford. The heroes = had beaten the Lunars to the punch and had to sacrifice their Lunar = captives and themselves to gain the help of the dragonewts. The heroes = managed to come back [reborn?] from the Utuma as they had preformed a = dragonewt heroquest that the dragonewts themselves were either unwilling = or unable to do.=20
The dragonewts did gain a benefit from this as the heroquest 'seemed' = successful but what it was the heroes didn't find out. The motives of = the dragonewts still evaded the heroes even though they had gained an = insight into dragonewt customs and ways.=20 The bottom line is they got the help from the dragonewts [the battle is = the next part of the game] but was the price too high?

Cheers
Darran.

'A lack of planning on your part does not=20 constitute an Emergency on my part'