More Blue

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:27:26 -0400

This is drifting *seriously* off-topic now.

> Interesting. How does this square with a TV 'game-show'[*] I saw last week
> which asserted that the ancient Greeks didn't have a word for blue (and used
> their word for 'bronze' when describing the colour of the sky)?

I'd have to go hunt down my mother's copy of the book to double check. My recollection is that they did not have a word for the colour blue, it was subsumed into green. (As stated earlier by someone, this is quite common.) I don't recall them using bronze, but obviously they distinguished the shades somehow (sky-green and sea-green, for instance.) That shade, which they did not have a term for, was horrible and barbaric. It is entirely possible I am mushing together in my brain the Greek and Roman reactions to blue. (The Romans, of course, having far more interaction with the only people who bothered wearing blue at the time, those crazy woad-covered Celts.)

> Could Steven Fry[**] have been wrong? Say it ain't so...

Stephen Fry may be incorrect, he is never *wrong*.

> [**] Fry is the quizmaster on this show, and reputedly a man with a brain
> the size of a planet.

But does he have a pain in all the diodes down his left side?

If you've seen 'Gosford Park', he played the comically
> dim police inspector.

Yes, and well-played. I also love A bit of Fry and Laurie, enjoyed his run on Blackadder, and am a huge fan of the small Wooster and Jeeves run he did.

Hey, I may have been born in New York City, but we DID have PBS growing up. :-)

End of Glorantha Digest