Re: Mostal

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:44:06 +0200 (CEST)

> Message: 1

John Galloway

> Are you unable to do anything that relates to an otherworld without first
> having a relationship with the appropriate otherworld entity?

Apart from the Ultimate (the Transcendent, as per Arcane Lore), generally you need an otherworld entity. In case of sorcery, you either relate to the Primal Energy (Invisible God) or the Vibrant Matter (Mostal), directly or through mediation.

I have no idea whether the Mostali access Mostal directly or through the "node" (or whatever term they use) of their ancestral Mostali. Which may be Clay for dwarves.

> Does no species of magic exist where the practitioner's ability to work
> magic depends soley on their
> own abilities (plus the capacity to tap potential power sources as
> required)?

Orhtodox Mysticism, where the ability is to nullify magic (or reality). Even there, you follow some teachings.

Sorcery comes close enough if you decide to view Mostal as the magical potential in matter.