God of Protective Snow?

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 12:11:41 +0100 (CET)

Maddy Eid on Gloranthan Cooking Yahoogroup: >> Who's responsible for generous snow cover in >> Glorantha? Heler is rain; is he also snow?

Jane Williams:
> I don't think he is, no, but I'm struggling to think who the right
> deity is.

> Hostile snow is Valind. Ice is Inora. There's some of Valind's
> assistants listed on TR p123, but I can't see any indication of snow
> being a *good* thing.

Must be those highlanders who really get snowed in, not the lowlanders who get deep frost instead when there is no snow.

One name which came to my mind is Ivarne, Heort's wife, aka "Frozen Woman". Heort rescued her out of ice, after a long sleep. We have no idea who froze her (but Valind comes easily to mind). How about a myth how Ivarne tricked Valind into covering her with snow to shelter her from the worst cold?

> We could if it was him.... Can we somehow have Valind as a husband
> of Ernalda? Male and within range, after all.

Maybe a myth how Valind tried to be her husband during Orlanth's exile, and failed to produce offspring? After all we get motivation (Valind was part of the conspiracy which led to O's exile) and opportunity in one place.

> Or possibly a minor member of the Ice Tribe who serves Ernalda (or
> rather, Esrola)?

Same difficulty: both Heler and Elmal produce offspring, Valind doesn't, except maybe among the Hendarli (winter-grown hops).

Valind in a positive context is about survival despite cold and winter, not about creating new life (other than big furry animals to hunt in faraway Fronela).