Uz Eyesight

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_free.fr>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 16:25:01 +0100

Greg :

>> Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_compuserve.com> writes:
>>
>> I wonder what happens in Darktongue? IIRC most trolls can only perceive
>> these three colours, but they can quest to be able to see more, while
>> trollkin have better colour vision. Maybe trollkin have their own cant
>> terms for the extra colours?
>
>Someone can check the published sources, but I do not beleive that the uz
>can see colors at all. Just light and dark.

IIRC, they can see dark, light, and red.

IMG they have three colour receptors, Darkness, Black & White, and Red/Fire, so that they can distinguish between Shadow and true Darkness : but of course there is no official source to support the notion.

Just using colour analysis anyway, it means that trolls can see and distinguish between pink and flesh tones, and that they would see orange and some greens as various shades of brown.

IMG Red/Fire/Heat hurts their eyes, and warm-blooded humans appear to them to have a kind of demonic semi-phosphorescent glare to them, because blood heat would be perceived (or semi-perceived, depending on temperature variations) as a light source.

Obviously, these ideas are influenced by D&D "infravision" ...

John English :

>Don't the Zorak Zorani use red as a sacred colour? I wouldn't think they'd
>use it if they couldn't differentiate it...

Indeed.

>Also the Blue Moon trolls seem to be able to differentiate their moon from
>the red one?

Except that the Blue Moon is _invisible_. But sure, certain Blue Moon Magicians would have the ability to see the colour blue as a magical sense IMO.

Julian Lord

End of Glorantha Digest