Orlanthi alphabets

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:20:06 +1300

John English

>We recently had the characters discover an ancient scroll written in
>Sartarite. While there was a Sartarite-speaking character in the party he
>was illiterate. However our literate Pavisite suggested that he simply read
>the scroll out loud phonetically and then the Sartarite could work out what
>it meant.

Sartarite and Pavisite are related languages. A Pavisite might have been able to work out the gist if he spoke Sartarite but the deep and subtle meanings would have eluded him, thereby requiring a trip to the Grey Sages. Then again, if the Sartarite were literate, he wouldn't have been able to understand the ancient scroll very well given that most English speakers require assistance or training to read Beowulf.

>I (having intended the scroll to be the spur for a visit to the Grey Sages)
>ruled that this was impossible as Pavic and Sartarite didn't use a common
>script but I don't know if this was "true"!

The Orlanthi only have three scripts - cat scratchings (used by the Sartarites and nearby Orlanthi), dog scratchings (used by the Tarshites and nearby Orlanthi) and stone scratching (used only for Grey Sage magical formulas) according to Storm Tribe p126.

>IIRC there was a list of spoken languages in the RQ Glorantha: Genertela
>pack but I don't recall having seen anything about written language.

There was a fair bit but nothing about the Orlanthi.

--Peter Metcalfe