alphabets

From: Goihl & Fahey <goihlk_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:46:44 +0100

John English:
>We recently had the characters discover an ancient scroll
>written in Sartarite.
>I ruled that Pavic and Sartarite didn't use a common
>script but I don't know if this was "true"!

It could be that the two related languages are usually written using the = same script but that some people use different scripts for each. A friend grew up in Iran. There, Azeri, his first language is written = using Iranian (adapted from Arabic) script. When he fled to Turkey he = had to write using Latin script, as used in that country. Azeri is = mutually intelligible with Turkish. Many of his family and associates = are from Azerbaijan, where they use Cyrillic script. For one language my = friend can use three different scripts.

Daniel