RE: Angels

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_rubberducky.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 09:59:09 -0800

I find that arguing with Peter Metcalf is generally fruitless, so I shan't. But to answer one factual question:

> > In common English usage, "angel" includes "good human
> > who's died and
> >gone to Heaven" (and that usage goes back at least as far as Hamlet),
>
> As in "Good Night, Sweet Prince/and flights of angels sing
> thee to thy rest"? Or "Angels and Ministers of Grace defend us"?
> Hamlet does not state what you think it does...

I was referring to Laertes' indignant statement about his sister Ophelia, "A ministering angel shall my sister be, When thou liest howling."

As for the rest--You are asserting that some Gloranthan creatures can properly be called "angels", but are refusing to (a) offer a text where *Gloranthan* creatures are called "angels", or (b) say just how you're defining the term. Which is silly.