Re: Move em on, head em up, count

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:22:02 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Malk,

> Fairly specific question for you all. How would you
> generally portray a
> Praxian herd raid?

It depends not only on the kind of tribes involved but also on the relative size, condition and relationships between raided and raider.
A small group raiding a larger encampment being the standard, but I suppose you can also have: 1) moving (not ecamped) herd being attacked 2) raid as part of a 'war' (to cripple and starve your enemy)
3) raid as part of a hunt
4) raid as part of a 'pact' or even marriage: the raider simulates a raid so that the raided's honor is safe;
etc.

> Are Praxian beasts ever fenced off or tied up when a
> clan is camped up,

I suppose no: fencing and tying seems to me like a fairly 'grounder' practice; nomads would keep the herds in a natural limited place like a valley or the bend of a serpent (creek) and constantly watch over them using young and females. A particular fierce or precious bull could be tied or confined but as an exceptional measure.
Morokanths on the other hand, would most certainly rely on lassoing and binding and nocturnal raiding other tribes' herds. I don't think their herd men are usually raided either, except for war puroposes.

> Would raiders use lassos or similar in order to grab
> target livestock,
> or rely on just 'driving' them towards their own
> encampment?

driving seems more fitting for large groups/herds; lassoing is for single targets or for sport. IMO praxian beasts are rather accustomed to graze and move even if different species (such as antelopes and bisons); something like African zebra/bison/antelope mixed herds. Of course beasts can't differentiate between a charging mounted bison and a panicked unmounted bison so impetuous raiding would result in much confusion and possible casualties. I don't think it's a usual raiding tactic.

> Would deaths (human or animal) be a common feature
> of such raids, or
> relatively unusual, given that raiding is a common
> part of nomad life,
> and that capturing livestock is more likely to be
> desirable than
> actually crucial enough to lay down your life over?

in routine/ceremonial raiding it's unusual but in war-feud raiding humand deaths are accounted for.

> How big do raiding parties tend to be? Or is it a
> case of a Foundchild
> devotee might sneak in and ride off on a single
> captured beast (though I
> have difficulty picturing an impala rider making off
> with a High Llama
> in such circumstances, unless he was good at
> climbing), whereas a
> family, a group or most of an entire sept might
> launch a raid depending
> on circumstances and opportunity?

standard raiding would be similar to hunting, so limited to small bands.

> Incidentally, if you're wondering which specific
> examples would be most
> useful to me, it would be Bison raiding any other
> tribe, and any other
> tribe raiding bison.

The art of war/ambush (by Sandy Petersen: you can find the link at Lokarnos.com) gives plenty of examples for intertribal fighting.
Raiding would resemble fighting if it's for war purposes but if it's not I suggest it uses more open and straightforward tactics: raiders would not like to be mistaken for full fledged attackers. A sudden daylight raid, without arrow shooting, looks less hostile than a vicious ambush with war cries, war paints and weapons drawn. The response should be more a matter of riding skill and ability to impress the attackers than a matter of slaying and weapon clashes. Probably the nomads have a body paint code used for raiding which is different from war paints and allows defenders to immediately discern the purpose of the raiders.

Ciao,
Gian

Yahoo! Messenger: chiamate gratuite in tutto il mondo http://it.messenger.yahoo.com