Re: More questions

From: Kmnellist_at_...
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 06:41:18 EST

In a message dated 2/21/00 9:55:53AM, you write:

<< Now to something completely different: npc statistics.>>

I agree with this, RQ NPC stats were soooooo cumbersome.

<< How will monster statistics look in HW? Are there countless abilities (close combat, archery, charge foe etc, etc) or just a simple, lose description (Like
 Green Elf Wood Lord 10W)? I would like to see statistics leaning more to  the second kind than the first.>>

I hope you are right. Although I could handle slightly more than one characteristic. I guess it depends on the omportance of the NPC. I would use a guideline of how nmcuh 'text' you would use to describe the NPC as a guide to how much 'stuff' is on the character. As an example, I have been looking at Big Rubble to see how I would convert the NPCs there; Ravening the ex-human, has about 100 words (coincidence?!) of background including:

'a kind of Berserk',
'Burning desire' (which I would have as his talent at breathing fire)
'cunning'
'kill, capture and maim'

Now, for a reasonable leader type NPC, this is not too much, it gives abilities and, additionally some sort of motivation/personality. From his stats I guess I would add:

'tough hide'
'large'
'scouting' (or something like it, to cover 100%tracking, 90%spot hidden,
75%camoflage)

This compares with say, Einak, a mutation gang leader, but less of an opponent:

'copperplate skin'
'creeping chills'
'stinger, big club and butt'

or Thobute;

'acid urine spray'
'broo'

or a normal broo

'broo' (this would include the possibility of horrid diseases, sneaky
attacks, torture, general unpleasantness etc.)

Now the question might be, what numbers would you give these guys? But I don't know the answer. Any suggestions? I feel a few examples of RQ stats converted to HW would be helpful. Is there anyone who would post *their* interpretation of Ravening to the list to be discussed?

<< Oh yeah, one more question. While reading through the Game System synopsis  there was only one thing I didn't like: rolling for passive resistance  (like you have to do when a character tries to get an Edge). How does this  work in actual play? Is it as cumbersome as it looks?>>

It looks cumbersome, and is if you are alwaysa looking up what to do, but I don't think it will be that bad when it is familiar.

Keith N