Re: Affinities and feats

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 08:41:38 -0500

wimp_at_... wrote:

> > Initiates ... get access to his affinities but not the feats. IE:
> > improvisational penalties on all magic.
>
> > Devotees ... get access to all affinities, feats
>
> Is it just me, or does this seem backwards? (I know it's what's in the
> rules, but even so...)
>
> I would have thought that initiates, not being heavily steeped in their
> god, would only be able to walk the heroquest paths that they had
> specifically learnt, ie. they get feats only.

No. It doesn't work that way. Unfortunately, most folks may not have the keywords and such readily avaiable so this converstation is kinda moot.... till they ARE avilable.

But, if you Don't have the *specific* feats, you just have a nodding acquaintance with them. Only Devotees (and those in subcults who are only too happy to have SOME pay them any notice) are close enough to the divinity to get the *details* of the feats.

In KODP this is the equivalent of knowing the story, knowing the *details* of the story and knowing the *secrets* of the story.

Anyone trying to duplicate a feat without knowing the feat takes a hefty -5 penalty on that magic skill (be it Air, Mobility, Infection). If you don't have the right affinity, you can't try it at ALL. Oh, and you can be a devotee only to one god. And you can't, apparently, attempt feats for your Affinity that your god doens't provide (or at least, you would be at an incredible penalty).

> When someone devotes himselft to a god, the deeper understanding
> that comes with it should allow someone to apply their god's methods
> to a wider variety of situations, ie. they get access to the affinities
> as well as the feats.

Nope. You get 'how that god solved the problem' And the more you know about that god, the easier it is to be like that god.

And from the Blind Taste Test, it works quite well. Everyone's an Orlanthi initiate but people are concentrating on the magics and feats for the god they are DEVOTED too.

> What do other people think?
>
> Neil.

I like it. My players like it. They are now KEEN to get more Feats and want to search out obscure temples and subcults to broaden their repitoire. Mind you, half of them are Odayla types, so its a bit wierd, but hey, WE ARE HAVING FUN!

And that, amongst all the po-faced doctrine and serious debate, is often lost sight of.

Jeff