Re: hw-rules digest

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 11:03:24 -0500

> > Is my question clear?
>
> This is back to the question of mathematical conversion of conceptual
> conversion. In RQ 110% is abnormally high. In HW 2W is not abnormal.
> It is unusual but not abnormal.

Yes, I think that a direct linear conversion is probably unwise, but if nothing else it lets me make some useful conversions without having to wave my arms without getting too tired.

And it lets me devote more time to working on the setting and adventure, yes?

> One of the great things about HW is that Steve does not have to say
> what he means, he may not even know what he means. One day a situation

This sounds wierd but he's right. It DOES allow you to 'fill in the blanks'. We just discovered that the old sharp bronze sword owned by our Humakti lets him attack ghosts and spirits without having ot worry about them being in spirit combat (basicically, it lets him initiate spirit combat)

> comes up where he wants to kill somebody who is magically defended and
> his defines what he meant. Of course, the GM may tell him one day that
> he cannot hit that monster with his sword because his sword ignores
> magic and the creature is entirely magic. Oops!

Yep. Definitions CAN be a tricky. We gave him grief for trying to let the sword attack anything -- you know, shades, wraiths, spirits (not just ghosts -- which is more approps for a sacred Humakti weapon).... The 'Stop being a Wanker' rule was invoked and the game was allowed to proceed.

> I said prayer or SERVICE. :-) For a humakti service includes hacking
> things to little pieces. For a storm voice service includes summoning
> rain for a dry field, dispersing a storm from a flooding field etc etc.

Think of being a devotee as your day job. everyone is usually A-Farmer-And-A-(whatever) but in this case, you're a Goddi-and-farmer/warrior/whatever

> As long as the character is thinking about and dedicating what they
> are doing to the god then they qualify. I bet you the Pope spends
> every waking hour serving God. He may not be directly praying but he
> is administering God's empire on this land.

Lets not bring RL and the RCC into this? Pleeeeze?

> Onslaught dedicates 24 hours of every day to Humakt (he has a geas:
> never sleep). All he ever talks about and thinks about is killing.
> That sounds like he is doing "God's Work".

Hmmm. Where DID that Wanker rule go? I know I have it around here somewhere (grin)

Jeff