Re: Three way contest

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 09:53:37 -0500

David Cake wrote:

> >How does Hero Wars handle three way contests, such as the one at the end of
> >The Good, The Bad and The Ugly?
> >
> As a extended contest with multiple participants, most likely. Each
> participant gets to choose which opponent they act against each round, etc.

That's how we do it... that lets folks gang up or lets someone play 'kingmaker.' It works and is kinda fun to do.

> >And how would it handle one particpant having an unknown advantage over
> >another, eg Blondie knows that Tuco's gun isn't loaded?
> >
> Probably as a large bonus, or a large handicap or edge, as
> appropriate to the nature of the advantage.

If his gun wasn't loaded, I think it'd be a pretty big handicap. Or, in the case of HW set in a a magical world, I'd say that if the avenue of attack being used by the bidder is invalid (no bullets, out of ammo, arrows all broken, No-Manna-Zone) then the skill just won't work and the bid is forfeit (no losses, perhaps or, if he's caught off guard, just loses the bid)

But a hefty handicap is good if the bid still might succeed somehow.

Jeff "who really should get a moniker" Kyer