Re: Mythic!

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 12:56:56 -0500

Gian Gero wrote:

> Hi to everybody,
>
> I am reading the HW rules (as a GTA initiate) and I was happy to read this
> following sentence in the digest, since it straightens some "past wrongs".

Being overly concerned with 'wrongs' is not the point of the list, I think. Learning to play Hero Wars and making a good go of it is.

> From: David Cake
> Not wanting to dis Master Meints, but I think his description of>feats
> isn't really correct.
> > A feat is like a spell. A feat is the rough HW equivalent of a rune>spell,
>
> A question: I read the first paragraphes of the Magic Chapter. I quote (by
> hearth) "The Gloranthans' way to describe the use of magic is to derive it
> from the Other Side through the various cult(ural) myths any G society has".
> Suppose two people, belonging to altogether different cultures (such as a
> Malkioni and a Praxian) travel to the Other Side. Do they see and meet the
> same opponents/allies? They travel together, allied, I stress, but they have

Each person from differing worlds (Mystic, Animimest, Theist, Monotheist) have mutually hostile and exclusive worlds. They would have to meet some common meeting ground -- say, a world that is mutually hostile to each other. And going to a worldview which is NOT yours can be hostile in the extreme, no matter HOW good your friendship is -- some things are just inherrently hostile.

> not the same kind of magic and/or the same vision about the Real Gloranthan
> World (let alone the Other Side).
> What happens, then???

I suspect that the people involved would have a great difficulty in interacting. Those from differing theologies (Lunar vs Orlanthi, Prax vs Pent vs Pamaltean, Rokari vs Loksalmi....) would have similar difficulties.

Your heaven is my hell and vice versa!

To wit: Joe Sorcerer is in the Heroplanes. He is native to the Logical plane (forget name) and visits his friend, Joe Stickpicker (Theist) in Orlanth's Stead on the Godplane -- the results are dangerous and painful for Mr. Mage as things here just happen to HATE mages. Of course, for M. Stickpicker, things are balmy and fair, except that all his friends keep attacking the visitor.... and he has some choices to make.

Bringing evil people into your god's home is probably bad unless they have the bona-fides to prove their harmlessness and goodnness, the onus of which is on the visitor, of course.

But I think I shall wait till the rules are actually published. When we have rules in hand, people can stop talking out of their hats and work with actual rules cases.

Jeff