Re: Pantheistic Gloranthans?

From: Steve Lieb <styopa_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 19:18:23 -0800

theo posselt <tpossel-_at_...> wrote:
> 1. Is everyone in Glorantha at least an initiate of at least one
god?
Assuming we're talking about Theists in the first place, I'd still say "probably not".
> 2. Why not? It appears that there's no game benefit of not
being an
> initiate.

Thinking about RW consequences, first there's a cost in money, and then a cost in time. Maybe an initiate of a cult should have a -25% to his wealth figure devotee -75% to hers? How would we apply the time issue - would it only be something the narrator has to implement, or is there a mechanic we can use?

  Is this simply an imperfection in how HW reflects
> Glorantha? Or is there really no benefit in Glorantha to just
being a
> lay worshipper?

At the very least, for those who can't or don't want to be initiates, there's the whole "community peer pressure" thing, too.

[a lot of good suggestions about the efficacy of "pantheic" worship snipped, to which I completely agree. I would however think most penalties would be in the -20 to -30 range - there should be good mythical reasons for sticking to your "own" god. Are the gods of a pantheon jealous of each other? A good question for the Digest]