Re: Actual Rules Question!

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 09:16:04 -0500

> The current rules make transfers and AP increases a lot less common.

Yes, they are much less common than they were in the previous set. However, if one has a mastery advantage over one's opponent, it can be quite unpleasant.

> This was a major problem noticed during playtest - what I call the
> video syndrome - fight lots of minor guys to get the powerups before facing
> the end of level boss. So it was changed.
> They do happen, but a lot less often.

What was the change? I cannot see a difference between the posted 'bare bones' rules and the set that Greg sent me in November? But they ARE a great improvement over what I was got to see in July.

> I can see it happening occasionally - if you have just killed a
> whole bunch of people without tiring or getting injured much, you have a
> big advantage of confidence (on your part) and fear (on theirs), and you
> are probably really getting into your killing stride. But this should be an
> occasional happening, not the routine.
>
> Cheers
> David

It only happens with one particular character, actually. A Humakti who is rather specialized, even for his ilk. One reason I'm against letting Humatki gifts 'stack' -- Sacred Time came and went and he stacked a second 'Sword & Shield +5' onto himself -- such a simple thing causes quite a lot of trouble (Initial close Combat was, of course, 5W, and he's gotten a 15W out of the gate...

I'm quite content to 'pound him like he was corn' with concentrated missle fire and magic -- areas where he is weak. But I dislike having to concentrate too much of my narratorish attentions on one player. Sadly, this character archtype is one of the easiest to make.

I console myself with reading the Munchkin's Guide to Powergaming though.

Jeff