Re: Combat example in 'initiate' rules

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 08:13:57 -0800

> First thing is, the Trollkin are supposed to have a skill of 6 with their
> club, yet they are given 12 APs. Is this a mistake or have I misunderstood
> something?

Special narrator character dispensation? Author goof? Augmentation before the ambush?

> Secondly, why aren't the Trollkin simply treated as followers of the Dark
> Troll? Wouldn't this be the way you would normally deal with these sort of
> encounters?

Well, they could have been - but I wanted to give a nice long rambling example of multiple-person-per-side combat.

> In fact, say you were attacked by a pack of (anything - e.g. zombies),
would
> you make them all individuals or would you nominate a leader and have the
> rest as followers? I like the idea of the latter because it makes
encounters
> quicker to resolve (can you remember how long this sort of thing took with
> RQ). What are people's feelings?

HW will let you do it however you want - You can have 1 darktroll with trollkin followers who just give APs (total: one opponent), 1 dark troll with a "composite" trollkin band (total: 2 opponents), one dark troll with two "composite" trollkin bands of 2 trollkin each (total: three opponents) or 1 darktroll with individual trollkin acting on their own (total: five opponents). It depends on how important the scene is to your story, how much dice rolling you want to do, and how many player characters you have - three heros beating up on one guy isn't really thrilling, three heroes getting beat up by one enemy hero and four of his flunkies is moreso (to me anyway).

RR