Re: Skirmishes

From: Morthander <morthander_at_...>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 10:21:06 -0800

Me:
> > <<When it comes to hurling a dozen underlings at the players - I
would
> > actually do it like this if I were worried about AP carry overs.
> > I'd assign all five trollkin per player a single rating and then use
> > that rating as the basis for the extended contest.>>
> > Eg
> > Trollkin mob 3w2
> > or
> > Pack of dogs 12w2
> > or
> > Trusty hencemen squad 10w3

Roderick
> Just to pick a nit here...
> when creating "composite" groups like this, the Ability ratings *are
not*
> added together, but the APs *are*:
> Trollkin mob 12 (60AP) - the mob won't hit any better, but it can
make
> larger bids, and absorb more "hits". Also note that this slightly
favors
> the Player hero, since the entire mob makes 1 attack, thus the
trollkin *do
> not* get the multiple attacker benefits. This is good for those
scenes of
> heroes wading through foes & slaughtering them right & left. If you
want to
> show the heroes getting plowed under by a mob of enraged trollkin,
then roll
> seperate attacks & apply the multiple attacker effect. Each individual
> trollkin is now easier to kill, but they just keep coming and biting
and
> stabbing and biting and clubbing...

The reason why I wouldn't do this is simple, firstly by building them as a group and then giving them a skill as a whole, it saves me time. Secondly, by treating them as one entity, skill wise and AP wise, I build into the combat the modifier for being attacked by multiple apponents - so rather than give the player a -10 for being assailed from X people, I simply up the skill of the mob and the effect is pretty much the same without the extra work of keeping track of who gets offed and thus changes the modifier. Given that I raise the skill of the mob, the one attack disadvantage is offset by their superior combat power. This all saves me time and minimises the slowing down of the game via lengthy combats.

Martin Laurie