Re: a little fundamental point re encounters

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 18:32:46 +0000

In message <B11F77E6C587D311A8FB009027D5FBEF127904_at_...>, Richard Develyn <Richard.Develyn_at_...> writes
>If a great-troll is charging at me with a pole-axe I can 'defend' against
>this with my 'diplomacy' skill, or maybe my 'confuse stupid creature' skill,
>assuming I can speak darktongue (maybe I take the lowest of darktongue and
>'whatever' ability).
>
>If I win the encounter then I've passified the troll, if he wins he chops my
>head off.
>
>Is that right?

Apparently. Except that in Real Life (TM) if you don't pacify the troll in the first few seconds of your encounter then you're likely to be dead unless you can reliably dodge his blows as well as talk. But that would be using two skills in combat which wouldn't quite work in HW because you'd end up using two different AP totals. Ummm. And you wouldn't (if the rules haven't changed from the playtest version I've seen) decide whether he kills you or not until one of you runs out of APs. Whereas in actuality if 'Hi there! My name is Fred! Put down that axe and talk to me!' doesn't work instantly it isn't going to work at all...

--
Michael Cule