Re: a little fundamental point re encounters

From: Richard Develyn <Richard.Develyn_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 09:25:32 -0000

From: Michael Cule [mailto:mikec_at_...]

>Apparently. Except that in Real Life (TM) if you don't pacify the troll
>in the first few seconds of your encounter then you're likely to be dead
>unless you can reliably dodge his blows as well as talk. But that would
>be using two skills in combat which wouldn't quite work in HW because
>you'd end up using two different AP totals. Ummm. And you wouldn't (if
>the rules haven't changed from the playtest version I've seen) decide
>whether he kills you or not until one of you runs out of APs. Whereas in
>actuality if 'Hi there! My name is Fred! Put down that axe and talk to
>me!' doesn't work instantly it isn't going to work at all...

I guess I don't really have a problem with this - I rather like the idea that a character who's good at talking can talk his way out of anything. It's more heroic, less realistic, but then when it comes to realism I'm happy to use Rolemaster.

Using more than one skill in an encounter could be done using an improvisational mod.

Richard