Secrets

From: Frank Rafaelsen <rafael_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 15:41:08 +0100 (CET)

I've been reading the HW material on glorantha.com and trying to understand the unfamiliar terminology.

A question that has popped up concerns Secrets in the Magic Keywords. Who get to learn the secrets (devotees?)?, How do you use em (as an affinity?)?

A lot of them seems to be improvements to other affinities, but the Thunderbolt in Orlanth Thunderous for instance isn't...

Oh, and when it comes to resolving a Great Axe vs Witty Repartee it is important to remember what Oscar and Zorak is trying to achieve. I agree with Martin Laurie, context is everything.

You don't dodge great axe blows with witty repartee, you try to convince him to NOT ATTACK/STOP ATTACKING. Winning such an contest will have just that outcome. You could say Zorak is 'defeated', but only in the sense that he is willing to listen to what you are saying. Insult him, and he'll still chop you to bits.

If you meet a troll in a dark alley you can try to convince him that he's not in the mood to kill right now (Smooth talk vs Hungry/Angry perhaps). But if one has gotten past that and the troll is already charging, you'd better pick up something sharper than your tongue.

(Although, I could allow a quick contest of Smooth talk vs Angry if Oscar throws down his sword and shouts 'I have a big ransom!'. If he succeeds, the troll grabs him and stuff him in a sack. It is still a 'victory' for poor Oscar)

Ha en god dag!
Frank Rafaelsen