Re: Secrets

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:48:06 -0500

Ah, Secrets is discussed in the Magic Chapter for Theism. That's not up yet, I fear.

Frank Rafaelsen wrote:

> I've been reading the HW material on glorantha.com and trying to
> understand the unfamiliar terminology.
>
> A question that has popped up concerns Secrets in the Magic Keywords. Who
> get to learn the secrets (devotees?)?, How do you use em (as an
> affinity?)?

A Secret can only be learned by a Devotee. They are a special affinity you learn when you have gotten very, very VERY adept with your magic and the god's.

To qualify -- ALL of that god's magic affinities must be at a 1w2 (Two masteries)

You then learn the secret as an new affinity (3 Hero Points and it starts at 12). Your skill with the secret can never be more than 1/2 the lowest of the god's other Affinities. eg -- if you had 5W with all of Humakt's Affinities except Morale at 2W2 -- your maximum in Death Gaze would be (42/2=21) 1M1

In the case of affinities provided by subcults (eg. learning a Loyalty or Fight Enemy Element affinity, they would not be counted as a part of the 'standard' package of Affinities.

> A lot of them seems to be improvements to other affinities, but the
> Thunderbolt in Orlanth Thunderous for instance isn't...

Um, Thunderbolt kills folks dead with no recourse for striking back.

> Oh, and when it comes to resolving a Great Axe vs Witty Repartee it is
> important to remember what Oscar and Zorak is trying to achieve. I agree
> with Martin Laurie, context is everything.

Context and making for a good story.

Hope that helps.

Jeff Kyer