Re: combat in Hero Wars

From: Frank Rafaelsen <rafael_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 11:16:10 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Michael Cule wrote:

> I'm sorry. I was a playtester for a while. And I found that my two
> groups could not get their heads around the system. Its basic workings
> did not appeal to them. Examples? Like: you cannot during combat look
> down on yourself and see how badly you are wounded because that would
> not be heroic (or something). Consequences are worked out at the end.

Isn't this turning things upside-down? I would rather say that it ends when you are wounded.

You might have a lot of small, nasty looking, but 'harmless' flesh wounds/bruises. But when you get a solid hit with a broad sword (or a knife for that matter), you'll be going down.

I must confess that I like this much better than the hit point mechanism: a fight should be about gaining advantages. When you are in a position to gut him, its over.

> And if you kick someone lying groaning on the floor and make a mess of
> it he gets back up and fights you again. ("I kick him in the balls and
> he gets better?")

Well you obviously didn't kick him in the balls, now did you? You tried, he grabbed your leg and sent you sprawling. Now he is back on his feet (AP gain)

Ha en god dag!
Frank Rafaelsen