Re: combat in Hero Wars

From: Frank Rafaelsen <rafael_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 12:34:42 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Michael Cule wrote:

> In message <Pine.LNX.4.21.0003161431440.25589-100000_at_...

> The kind where people have to really risk things. The kind where there
> are is no 'plot immunity' for player characters. The kind that does not
> try to deny the fact that people are mortal. That kind.

Oh, that kind :)

I rather like that kind of heroism myself. But after just reading the rules synopsis I get the impression that HW is ideally suited to this kind of heroism. Especially because the players to a certain degree 'control' how much they want to risk. For me, betting more APs than you've got to try to take out a more powerful enemy is heroic, while joining combat hoping to get a critical isn't. The first example is more heroic because the player puts his ass on the line in a much more concrete sense. You decide how much you want to risk yourself to do harm to your enemy. In RQ you _just_ risk yourself, end of story. There is something in this bidding mechanic that defines heroic for me.

And the fact that combat in HW isn't as deadly as RQ doesn't mean that there is no risk, or even less risk. In fact, I think that death is often the easy way out for players that don't want to face consequences of their actions. In some sense you risk more if you have to play with the results; a character that survives but loses an arm can have bigger consequences for a player than having to create a new character after the other died.

In role playing there really are fates worse than death.

Ha en god dag!
Frank Rafaelsen